Sunday, November 9, 2008

I know I've been slacking on keeping everyone updated, but I had parent teacher conferences after school for the past 2 weeks (didn't get home til after 6 or so most nights) and then I've just been in the preparation process! 

I've started going to the doctor every week!  At our 35 week appointment I had my Strep B test, was 1 cm dilated but my cervix was still thick and Caileb was still pretty high.  Last week (36 weeks) things were the same, my Strep B test came back negative (no antibiotics during labor) and they had to take some blood to check to see if I'm immune to fifths disease- which has been going around our school.  I will get those results on Wednesday when I go back to the doctor, but I've been told I was probably exposed as a kid and will have no problems at all!  Dr. Chesney also told us that we could expect to have  a baby in the 7 pound range, but he couldn't be more specific as to which extreme of 7 pounds we could expect!

I've been having sporadic contractions over the past week or so- nothing that really alarmed me that I was actually in labor, but Friday we were shopping in Target and I started having really strong contractions (ones that I'd never felt before)... my first reaction was that it was Caileb moving, but this was an all over intense "push" from the inside.  So strong that I had to just stand really still in the baby aisle.  Ricas tried rubbing what we thought was Caileb to get him to switch positions but nothing worked.  Eventually it passed and we continued shopping. About 20 minutes later while pulling into Wendy's to get a salad it happened again, and again, and then once more when we got home.  I knew something was different so I called my mother in law and realized that I was actually having contractions.  They continued up until about 9:30 or so, which is when I fell asleep trying to relax and see if we were going to the hospital!  Since then I've only had a few here and there, but no hospital trips for us... I'm hoping that there will be some change in my status when we go to the doctor on Wednesday, I'm so ready to meet our son!

Tomorrow I will be 37 weeks!!!  The reality of having a baby is so real, only 22 days left and only 3 more fruit/vegetable comparisons (see babycenter.com weekly updates).

Congratulations — your baby is full term! This means that if your baby arrives now, his lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though your due date is still three weeks away.

Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

No comments:

The Gentry's

The Gentry's