Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chronicles of the Potty (first 24 hrs)

Take 3...

We have tried this potty training thing with Caileb before, this past summer and right before Christmas, and it was a #failure!  After reading, talking, and observation I decided we'd give it a go... again!  This time we are doing things a little differently- the main difference is that he is in daycare.  They will take him to the potty with the other children that are being trained (I think there are 4 in his room) and I think that this will greatly influence him as he will want to do what the others are doing.  The other difference is that I am more prepared this time.  The previous times it was a decision that I made somewhat on the fly without really looking into his potty patterns or knowing what to do. <---- please do not interpret this as I know what to do, because I am still learning.

At any rate here is our progress so far...
2/9/11 sat on the potty every 15 minutes for 10 minutes until about 9pm when he made a liquid deposit! We put his diaper on for bed and he insisted on putting his underwear on top, so we let him!

2/10/11 Caileb crawled into bed with us early this am and was still dry, but he was still sleep so there was no need to try and get him to sit on the potty sleepy. I said a little prayer and hoped for the best. 7:45 rolled around and we were awake and DRY!!! We did our little morning snuggle, exchanged kisses and talked about how he was going to be a big boy and use the potty today. He was excited and we got up went to the potty and less than 10 second later "I pee peed!" He was beaming and I was thinking, no you didn't go that quick... but he had! 1 marshmallow for Caileb!

There were hi fives, dancing and lots of celebrations- when daddy woke up it was a repeat of the celebration! No telling how we will act when he actually poops in the potty.

Mommies of potty trained boys, please share you experience. What worked? What didn't?

Until next time...

UPDATE (10:30) Potty 3 - Underwear 0

Oh and now Caileb has decided to potty train Mickey Mouse!


UPDATE (12:10) Potty 3 - Underwear 1
Standing at the couch playing and what to my surprise should I hear? Tinkling water on the carpet. Caileb was astonished and immediately looked at me like "what just happened, that was supposed to be in the potty!" Cleaned him up and sat him on the potty, still there (he says he has to poop)!

UPDATE (5:30) Potty 4- Underwear 1 - Diaper 1
Diaper went on and Caileb went down for his nap. He peed (no biggie it's not like we expect him to miraculously stopping peeing in his sleep)! After nap (4:15ish) he sat on the potty for a bit- nothing. We had snack played and back at the potty by 5:20... and he quickly informed me he'd peed and was up quick as lighting for his HI FIVE. I was busy and didn't grab his marshmallow and he didn't even care- he is more interested in the HI FIVE and celebration of it all! I've convinced him to sit back on the potty to try and poop, but no luck yet. He usually goes in the am between 8 and 8:30 but nothing yesterday or today!? Any suggestions on how to deal with pooping on the potty?

No comments:

The Gentry's

The Gentry's